Ijjay Bantay Katayagan

Mt. Katayagan
Agoo, La Union

My hometown, Agoo, is mostly flat, except for the low mountain protruding to the east. Since childhood, I am always looking forward to climb this mountain named Mt. Katayagan. But I never managed to get up there, until recently.

Katayagan originated from the root word "Tayag" which means tall in Ilokano. When we add the affixes "Ka" and "-an', the new word would mean tallest. Therefore, in Ilokano dialect, Mt. Katayagan translates to Mt. Tallest. And this is true in the case of my hometown Agoo, because standing at ~250masl, Mt. Katayagan is the highest peak.

With my recent interest in hiking, I decided to climb Mt. Katayagan once and for all. It would be a dishonour to the looming peak in my backyard if I get to enjoy and appreciate other mountains without paying homage to my own.

So, before flying back to my hometown for my two-week vacation in September, I contacted friends who could lead me to a guide. Most of them directed me to the mountaineering group in Agoo called Katayagan Mountaineering Team aka KAMOTE. Through a friend, I was able to schedule a sunset hike with the group.

Aside from Kamote, my elementary classmate also accompanied me. He is a local of Brgy. Sta Fe (our exit point) and basically knows the trail to the peak via Sta. Fe.

Come hike day, we assembled at Grotto past 3pm. Our goal is to witness the sunset at the summit. Estimating a two-hour trek to the top, we would be on time for the sundown.

The first part of the trail is the Grotto stairs. At the top, a dirt track leads into the base of the mountain. This is the easy stage of the hike with gentle ascending slopes.  It is also notable that charcoal making (burning of dried coconut shells in a small pit) was observed on the path.

At the base of the mountain, we rested for a bit, and took photos of Mt. Katayagan. In an hour or so, we would already be on the top.
Mt. Katayagan photographed from the base.
The hike to the peak is characterized by moderate slopes. It is easy to the legs, however, the overgrown weeds or "talahib" already obscured the path. Thus, we have no other choice but to create our own track. In most parts, the weeds are also taller than us, with bloody razor sharp edges. I was only wearing a t-shirt and didn't bring any arm warmers or long sleeves. Lucky me, I did bring my handy raincoat, and though the weather was humid, I wore it to prevent further scratches from the weeds. 
Thumbs up because I just got out from the weeds.

The raincoat that saved my arms from further scratches.
Past the tall weeds, the mountain resort of our local mayor started to emerge from view. The communities below the mountain also seemed distant and small. We're very near to the summit!
The mountain resort of our town mayor.
Nearly to the top.
A couple of minutes after, we made it to the top. A big steel cross planted at the summit welcomed us. Hello Dear Cross! And we still have ample time left before witnessing nature's magical sunset. Of course we had our groufies, selfies and some of us (me included) climbed the cross for buwis-buhay shots. When the sunset came, it was quick, yet impressive, casting golden glows to the clouds and the horizon. Below us, the farmlands of Agoo and neighboring town of Sto. Tomas glistened to the dying sunlight.
Catching sunset from Mt. Katayagan's peak.
Katayagan's cross at the peak.
With Agoo Mountaineer's KaMoTe.
It was already dark when we descended and we have to use flashlights. At the sight of the first sari-sari store, we bought cold sodas. My elementary friend from Sta. Fe volunteered to drive us back to the center of Agoo where we had our socials. It was my first climb with the group, and over a couple of beers, we shared our passion and dream hikes. Most definitely I would climb with them again in the future.  
Katayagan OOTD.
Mt. Katayagan is a very special hike and really dear to my heart. It is home, it is where my roots are planted. It is also the fulfilment of a little girl's adventure goals, a tick to my younger self's bucket list. 

I would definitely bring Tala to Mt. Katayagan as soon as we get her hiking gears. I have to start her young in order for her to appreciate nature and adventure. It is an easy hike, and I know for sure, she can do it. 



Climb Date: September 17, 2017
Summit Elevation: ~250mASL
Difficulty Rating: 2/9
Jump-off Point: Grotto
Exit Point: Sta Fe
Days Required/Hours to Summit: 0.5 day/2 hours
Features: Tall weeds with razor sharp edges
Geology: Localised volcanic flows
Guide: Agoo Katayagan Mountaineering and Outdoor Team (KAMOTE)
Contact Person: Ron Junio, Jen Di, Efraim NiƱalga

Comments

  1. love the texts! i never imagined Katayagan will be vividly described like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, ngayon ko lang nabasa to Sir Mito. Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. It represented home.. Thanks for sharing��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir Rexford for appreciating.

      Delete
  3. Just got home from mt. katayagan. i had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts