COEUR de LION


COEUR de LION
Couraging Tinuy-an Falls and surviving a broken heart with ...a brave heart of a lion.


I decided to consume my remaining work leaves by visiting the most wonderful waterfalls in the country - TINUY-AN FALLS. Nestled in upstream Bislig drainage system, this falls is dubbed as the Niagara Falls of the Philippines.

Bislig is only mere three hours ride from the minesite, yet, for more than six years of working in Mindanao, I haven’t got the chance to set foot in Tinuy-an Falls.


Bislig boulevard lights up at night.
They say, people tend to visit far-away places first than those that are already in their backyard.  Places that are nearby are always taken for granted, for they are easily accessible and available anytime. I believe this train of thought is also applicable to people. The thrill of chasing someone distant and unavailable has always trumped-up caring for those who are already close to you. It’s basic human psychology. You always want what you can’t have.

I have completed two journals (2014 and 2015) with a visit to Tinuy-an falls always on my bucketlist. Glad that I can finally tick it off in my 2016 journal. I remember constantly asking D to bring me there for he knew the place like the back of his hand. He was assigned in Lingig exploration for two years. We had been to a lot of places, but for whatever reasons, we didn’t have the chance to visit Tinuy-an together.

So after a killer leg work-out and realization that I have three days of work leave expiring by November, I made a spontaneous decision to finally see the place. The morning after, I filed for my leave. Come afternoon, I’m already on a passenger van with other tourists from Manila looking forward to an unforgettable Surigao get-away.

Friday morning, Saysay and I are braving the bumpy skylab ride to Tinuy-an Falls. The ride is bouncy most especially dusty for we are traversing a still dirt road. But to be honest, I felt awe and enjoyment. I felt alive. I loved the way the morning sun kissed and slowly toasted my skin, I enjoyed the gentle caresses of the fresh morning breeze on my face. I reveled over the green sceneries of alternating rice paddies, coconut and banana trees. There is also this big, cool lake we passed. Unfortunately our motor driver doesn’t know its name. 

Saysay and I in our skylab ride.

We crossed a lot of rickety, wooden bridges. There’s an exhilarating rush of danger and adventure. This got me to remember the quote I saw in Instagram.
Not all girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some girls are made of adventure, fine beer, brains and no fear.” I’m more of the second type. Adventure? Check! Fine beer? I always loved a fine, Belgian beer. Brains? Of course!!! No fear???? I self-proclaim I am Coeur de Lion, I’ve got the brave heart of a lion.

And after an hour or so, we reached our destination. Bienvenue à Tinuy-an Falls!!! What a magnificent view. I was awestruck and impressed!!! Of course we have to take those touristy pictures first. I forgot to bring my waterproof camera so we have to snap photos over a distance where water splatters cannot damage my camera phone. I always take a photo of myself with places I’ve visited as my backdrop. Who would then try to cyber steal my landscape photos if I’m in it? This is how I watermark my travel photos. And from a geological point of view, I am the automatic scale in my photos. Anyone can have an idea of how big or small the outcrop, uhm, I mean the scenery.


Touristy shots with my yellow and white Tinuy-an OOTD.

We rented a raft to take us underneath the fall’s water curtains. As we’re nearing, water splashes are getting painful. It’s like a massage that started from gentle kneads to forceful presses to the point you beg your masseuse to just stop. I decided to shut off the part of my brain that signals pain. After successfully numbing the discomfort, here comes the soothing and relaxing pleasure of getting soaked and drenched in water torrents.


Raft rentals are available to take anyone near the waterfalls.

In that moment of bliss, I felt the universe connecting with me and tugging on my sleeves.

So I sent a message to the universe.
Let the water wash away all my remaining pain, hurt, fears, uncertainties that hounded me these previous months.
Let the water cleanse and heal my bruised and broken heart.
Let the water purify and renew my crushed spirit.

I shouted all of these underneath the cascades. It didn’t even matter to me if my other companions have heard me. But I doubt it since the only thing that can be heard that time was the loud crash of the water descending from above.

In that moment of time and space, I let the water to free me from useless sufferings. With all my heart and soul, I asked the universe for me to be able to forgive, and let go.


Raft taking us underneath the water curtains.

This ritual underneath the waterfalls gave me the chance to wash away all those negative thoughts and emotions. It is only fitting to use water as my medium since the cleansing and healing properties of it are already time-tested and immemorial. Since biblical times, water in the form of a great flood washed away all evil and disobedience leaving Noah and his family as the only survivors in the world. Christianity uses water too during baptism for redemption, renewal and rebirth of the soul.

And so I am leaving all complicated feelings of pain, stress and trauma underneath the water curtains of Tinuy-an Falls.

I opened my eyes. Water droplets still sting them, but I felt renewed and comforted. My heart is still beating the same way it did, it is scarred, yes, but it is stronger, more open, and now fearless for new beginnings and adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts