Climb of a Lifetime: My Mt. Apo Story



Mt. Apo
Davao del Sur and Cotabato


Mt. Apo's crater lake.



I was never a mountain person. Perhaps, it’s because I am required to hike mountains and ridges when I was in Exploration. It’s all work for me. Hike a mountain, map outcrops and collect samples. Repeat.  I prefer going to the beach and ride a swell.  But gradually, my perspective in mountain climbing shifted. A  friend, Rovi, made me read Cheryl Strayed’s Wild. It’s a memoir of self-discovery - from being lost to found, after hiking 1,100 miles alone along the Pacific Crest Trail. I was also inspired by Rovi when she successfully summited Everest Base Camp (EBC) last year.

So, why not give it a try? Early this year, around April, I inquired about Mt. Apo climb package to Engr. Albert Gabriel. At that time, I was not really committed of hiking the highest mountain in the country. It took me three months to  decide to go for it. Around July, Rovi and I finally booked for an October climb. But because of ISO-EMS work commitment, my roster break got adjusted. Hence, I rescheduled our climb to first week of November. The new schedule will bring us to the summit on November 3rd, without me knowing that it was also the anniversary date of Rovi’s EBC summit. Talk about fate, and how the universe conspired to make it possible.

Now here’s the hilarious part. After booking with Engr. Albert, he sent us list of things to bring during the hike. It’s so amusing, no, more of distressing, because I don’t even own one item on that to-bring-list. Worse, I don’t have hiking shoes to wear. But slowly, I acquired all the hiking gears needed. First is my hiking shoes, a Columbia I got on sale, and the rest just followed. Shout out to D who went all the way to Decathlon Alabang to get me my pink trek pole, ultra light purple sleeping bag and bright pink fleece jacket - just some of the purple/pink hiking items he got for me. With every acquisition, I excitedly recounted it to Rovi, who in turn, advised me to break-in my new shoes by going on day hikes. It took me three small mountains, Magdiwata (August), Katayagan (September) and Capistrano (October) to prepare for Mt. Apo.

Did I just lose my mind back when I decided to climb Mt. Apo? I’m a newbie, with no formal hiking experience, yet my first major hike would be the highest mountain in the country. Well, there’s no turning back. I just have to prepare and train, because standing at 2,954masl, Mt. Apo is considered the Roof and the Grand Father of all Philippine mountains.

 01 November 2017: The Day Before the Hike

Traveling from Agusan minesite to Davao, I took a half-day leave in order to make it at 5pm for our pre-climb briefing. Our guide will meet us at the hotel to brief us and to collect our medical certificates. And that's my problem. I don’t have a med cert yet! I contacted our guide to ask him if it's okay if I wouldn't be able to procure a med cert. The answer is no. He is  strict in imposing the no med cert, no climb rule. That's why I requested Kuya Fredo (my bestfriend driver), who drove me to Trento bus terminal, to stop at clinics along the way. We stopped first in a little hospital in Bunawan. Unfortunately, all the doctors were on a Halloween holiday. Next was in Trento, there’s  a doctor on duty but she required me to have an ECG. All right!  As I was taking the ECG test, I wondered if it can also detect the battle scars of my heart. But it only showed my heart is beating normally. So aside from the ECG print-out, I now have a med cert that states I am fit to hike. Yahoooo!!!

With my med cert inside my bag, I boarded a Metro Shuttle bus (my first time to try it and found it to be cleaner and faster than its rival Bachelor) to Davao. After 3 hours, I was already in Buhangin. I hailed a cab to D’counter hotel where our guide booked us for the night as part of the climb package. Upon arriving, Rovi was already waiting for me in the lobby. At 5 pm, we met our guide Engr. Gabriel and he briefed us on our climb. He also gave us  Mt. Apo souvenir shirts. The t-shirt is dri-fit and I loved its clean white color.

I went to UNIQLO Lanang afterwards to get base layer leggings and additional fleece long sleeves. (Tip #1 - for affordable thermals, check out UNIQLO's range of heat tech base layers. It's a lot cheaper compared to popular hiking brands.)

02 November 2017: Day 1 and The Heavy Jungle Rain

It's the big day! I wasn't able to sleep well because of excitement coupled with a bit of anxiety. But there's no backing out now. It's now or never! To Mt. Apo we go.

Past 5am, we departed our hotel in a white van and traveled to Kapatagan, Digos City. When we reached the city, we stopped and grabbed some breakfast. We also bought our packed lunch. After, we had our ride of a lifetime. Exciting times!!! We were divided into groups and assigned one habal habal each.  Habal habal is a motorcycle common in Mindanao, it has an extended board at the rear to accommodate more passengers. I was with Rovi and Kang and we couldn't help not to get nervous with every bump in  the muddy and rocky road.

At around 9am, we reached the jump-off point. Of course we couldn't pass for a "before pic" to show how fresh we looked like before the 3-day hike. Excluding Engr. Gabriel and our porters, there were six of us in this hike – me, Rovi, Kang (a 3rd yr med student in La Salle), Shing and Bolan (from the petroleum industry) and V (a beautiful Italian doing her master thesis in Davao). Bolan led us into a prayer asking God to bless us with a safe hike and good weather. And then we started climbing. We passed scenic farm trails of idyllic villages of  Sitio Tumpis and Colan. The rolling plains shrouded in fog were sprinkled  with carrot and cabbage farms. There were also horses and cute kids with Wonder Woman head band.

After passing the villages, we entered a sub-tropical trail characterized with tall talahib (weeds) and two creek crossings. The trail was muddy and we weren't able to get a glimpse of Mt. Apo from this location due to a thick fog envelop.

Next, we started our ascent to Mt. Apo via jungle trail. I observed some yellow-orange flowers along the path although I forgot to ask our guide if these flowers are prevalent only in Apo. Midway in the jungle, we stopped by for lunch and continued our hike right after. Soon, we encountered moss and lichens enveloping tree trunks. Engr. Gabriel explained that lichens only develop in clean air, first they will appear as white sheets then turn into brown after some time. These brown sheets/lichens will be the breeding ground of moss. So, if a forest is mossy, it means there is no pollution and the air is fresh.

Next stop is a rock formation for us to rest. In here, Engr. Gabriel requested us to sit down in a specific spot and asked us what do we see. We had different answers but for me I see a shy turtle deciding whether to come out or not from its carapace. After that stop, it started to  rain, like real hard, and it poured down in heavy torrents soaking me and V to the bones even though we were in our raincoats. (Tip #2 - invest in a jacket/raincoat with high waterproof and breathability rating, this is one of the hiking items you should really spend on to keep you dry during hikes. Lesson learned for me and V.)

We arrived Tinikaran Campsite 1 drenched from head to toe (at least for me and V) at around 3 pm. Luckily, the rain went from heavy to drizzle. Our porters started to set camp in the muddy camp grounds. After, they boiled water and offered us hot milo and coffee. Our porter Nonoy (who we fondly call Facundo sometimes Ricardo Dalisay) started to cook sinigang without sinigang mix. Well, that's pretty common in Mindanao. After years of working in this island, I observed that sinigang is not as sour compared to what we normally cook in Luzon. Nevertheless, Facundo's sinigang still tasted sinigang, but, he did not get a Michelin nod from me. Hahaha! After dinner, Bolan concocted his Empe and Tanduay mix and between talks with the group, we finished his brew. The group discussed mountains conquered. Some have gone to EBC, Annapurna, Kota Kinabalo, Halcon, Sicapoo, and Alps. Me? Aha, I summited Magdiwata (the watershed of Agusan). To be honest, I felt a little out of place during the first night. I'm in the midst of seasoned mountaineers. And I felt like I'm an applicant in her initiation rites.  

We had it early for bedtime maybe around 8pm. Rovi and I shared the same tent. I couldn't get my sleep. I was disturbed by the sound of howling winds from the distance. Suddenly, Rovi (whom I thought was already asleep) asked me if I have Decolgen.  Yes, I have. So we took one tablet each, we will be using its phenyleprine component to get us drowsy. (Tip #3 - always bring medicine and know which one gets you drowsy. For me it's antihistamine, just a couple of secs and I'm off to dreamland. Sleep is important in major hikes, the earlier you doze off, the better as it recharges you for next day's hike.)

Rovi also inquired if my heart was beating fast. Again, it's a yes. She explained that was me acclimatizing given the high elevation. I put on adhesive foot pads on both my sole, those kind of pads offering 5-6 hours of warm heat. The heat radiated from my sole to my legs, and after a couple of minutes, I forgot the night was cold.


03 November 2017: Four Peaks Summit Assault

"Wake up call! Gising na kayo!"  At around 2:30 am, the piercing voice of Engr. Gabriel stirred me from my light sleep. Hiking starts at 3am.

I woke up with an upset stomach and had no choice but to heed to nature's call. In the midst of tall trees, it was a success!!!

Facundo offered me hot Milo as we packed up our things. Soon after, we started to hike in the dark and cold. I was wearing three layers and every time I spoke, smoke comes out from my mouth. It's so cold I can literally see my breath. A few hours, the morning sun broke out the sky. It's our first Mt. Apo sunrise. Everything was golden. The mossy forest was enchanting. We reached Tinikaran Campsite 2 and rested for a bit. The camp sites were named Tinikaran because it's the name of the tall trees found in the camp grounds. Tinikaran tree is also endemic and found only in Mt. Apo.
Sunrise inside Mt. Apo's mossy forest. This was taken in Tinakaran Camp Site 2. 


We continued our ascent and soon enough, the trail shifted from jungle to rocky terrain. We found ourselves in the mouth of a dry stream where a sign post states that we just entered the Boulder Face. Engr. Gabriel informed us that the true start of the Boulder Face is located another 100m further up from the trail.
The Boulder Face, perhaps, the most technical part in this trail. 
Before long, the rotten smell of sulfur enveloped the air. Solfataras emitting gaseous steam were observed. Plant life is diminished and substituted by boulders after boulders of volcanic rock. The Boulder Face clearly depicts the volcanic side of Mt. Apo.
Mt. Apo's sulfur vents. 

With a clear view of Kapatagan, we settled in the boulders and had our breakfast of fried maling ang adobong veggies. Breakfast with a view indeed! After, we continued the boulder trek for another 3 hrs. To break the weariness and to inject a little bit of fun, I taught V how to Budots. This is a dance move I learned in Mindanao where you internalize you're a worm and just squirm and wriggle (by bending the knees) while flaying your arms around. Haha! (Engr. Gabriel took a video, edited it for the Taga-Asa ka challenge and later posted in his FB page.)

We arrived High Camp, also called the 87degrees camp site, around 11am. The porters call this area the White Sand because the soil is blanketed mainly by white feldspars (and quartz).  We had an early lunch followed by a quick nap inside our tents. At 2pm, we started our summit ascent. The first peak we reached is the Cabo’s peak (part of Davao del Sur). I was more than impressed. From where we are, we're sandwiched with views of two lakes. To our right (north) is Lake Venado while to the left is Crater Lake. We're also more than lucky to see the Crater Lake filed with water (in some months, this is dry).
Mt. Apo's crater lake. 



Lake Venado, Mt. Apo's largest lake. 
We moved to our second peak, which is the highest peak in Mt. Apo with a recorded elevation of 10,311ft asl. I got teary-eyed as I stood at the highest point. For a moment, no other Filipino stood higher than me. With that, self-pride and fulfillment flooded me. I did it. The newbie hiker reached the highest point in the Philippines. I closed my eyes and thanked God for allowing me to conquest the summit. The skies were clear, there was no sign of rain, the winds were gentle. I was beyond blessed.
On top the highest peak in the Philippines.

But that's not the end yet. We crossed the boundary of Davao del Sur and North Cotabato for our third summit called the Kidapawan Peak. It was also my first step on Cotabato soil (marking my 51st out of the 81 provinces in the country, a personal bucket list for me). In here, Engr. Gabriel awarded us with Certificates of Completion for having successfully climbed Mt. Apo - the highest peak in the Philippines. In a couple of minutes, sunset was upon us, enveloping everything with a golden glow. Sea of white clouds complement the sunset for an ethereal view. Below us, the PNOC-EDC geothermal plant glistened to the sunset as well.
Mt. Apo's Kidapawan peak.
We were awarded with Climb Certificates. 
Breathtaking sunrise.
It was getting dark and we had to go to our fourth summit - the Davao side peak. We got almost lost for Engr. Gabriel had walked so fast we weren't able to cope up. We later learned that he had to go quickly to be able to set up his camera for his long exposure shots. It was night time when we reached Davao side. We were on top of the crater lake, with the full moon hanging low, Davao City twinkling from afar with its night lights. The view was just beyond romantic.
Hauntingly beautiful. 
We were feeling the cold so we set off for our camp site. During the descent, our conversation shifted into medical consultancy with our future doctor Kang. She encouraged everyone not to depend too much on painkillers especially after the climb. Anyway, I vowed to climb with her again in the future for I'll be asking her to provide me my medical certificate. Hassle no more (for me)!!! Hahaha.

We arrived camp past 7pm. Dinner was served courtesy of the ever reliable Facundo. Since our dish for the night was Italian pasta (with parmesan cheese), we requested our Italian girl V to lead a prayer...in Italian language. After dinner, we had our socials inside the biggest tent. But first, we did the Samyang (black color) challenge. Everyone had a taste of it and some had gone red due to the extra chiliness. Afterwards, Engr. Gabriel taught us the 3, 6, 9 counting game. Losers will entertain everyone by telling a joke, or sing, or dance.  V sang an Italian song. Shirleen and I were prepared, we had a lot of jokes to tell. Engr. Gabriel, for his part, shared a new Republic Act (the right to object in social media). I scolded Engr. Gabriel, for it was not a joke, it was not funny, and we were not entertained. Hahahaha!!!! (Tip #4 - major hikes usually have socials, to prepare for it, magbaon ng jokes. Just kidding! My tip is just be yourself and enjoy the company of old and newfound friends.)

I had a better sleep than the first night though my heart was still beating fast due to the high altitude. My soul and eyes were filled that day. Mt. Apo has seven peaks and one center summit. We conquered four. That's more than enough. Maybe I need to go back and conquer the rest. But for now, sleep. Buona notte.

04 November 2017: The Descent

"Wake up call!!! Sunrise view tayo." I'm getting used to hearing Engr. Gabriel's pampagising voice, this time, at 4am.

I woke up again to an upset stomach and behind the boulders, it was a success.  

With four layers, fleece gloves, a bonnet and a furry Eskimo hat, I braved the cold and  watched the sun appear above the horizon. I marveled at the view of Davao City and Samal island, completely soaked in an orange hue. Engr. Gabriel was more than ready, with his DSLR camera steadied in a tripod. He took epic sunrise shots of me and Rovi. (Tip #5 - get a guide who is also into photography. Trust me, you'll have tons of amazing photos, like the photos posted in this blog. All credits to him.)
Epic sunrise shots.
Layering up to beat the cold. 
Our camp site glistening to the sunrise.
We had our brekky and tried the 'just add water' trail food brought by Rovi from the US. It was a combination of chicken breast and mashed potato, in which Engr. Gabriel inserted his potato (puti to) joke. Again, he failed with his joke. There's really no future for him in the entertainment industry. Hahahaha!!! Anyway, the corned beef with diced potatoes by Facundo was very tasty. He's really the best (by the way, he calls me Madamme!) Hahahaha!!!

After breakfast, we packed our things and started our descent. Goodbye Mt. Apo. It's a bittersweet feeling to be honest. As much as I want to go home and share this adventure to my loved ones, it's hard to say goodbye to such beauty and wonder.  I asked my group which is the most beautiful mountain they have climbed so far. Rovi was torn between Ulap and Mt. Apo. For Kang, it's Apo, with an explanation that the mountain has everything to offer - from farm lands, to jungle and mossy forest, crater lakes, sulfur vents and boulder face.

During the descent, Engr. Gabriel told me the devastating story of Mt . Apo when it caught fire last 2016. He was one of the key people during that time. Together with the porters, LGU's and BFP, they created two fire lines to contain the fire. I have seen blackened portions of Mt. Apo, but in between, young, short green shrubs are already growing. By the way, these areas are off limits to hikers to allow the recovery of the mountain.

Despite the stories, I could feel my knees weakening due to our nonstop descent. (Tip #6 - trek poles are very helpful especially during descent. It adds balance and serves as the third feet. Engr. Gabriel started to use trek poles when his doctor advised him to use one because it absorbs about 15% stress from the knees and feet.)

At 330 pm we're back at the trail head. Guess what we did first. The after-photos of course!!! Our bodies might be dead tired, but we had those big grins plastered in our faces. We were more than blessed of getting again clear skies during our third day. Bolan (who mostly led our prayers) might be very close to the Lord. He heard all our prayers. Not only we had the best weather, we were all safe and uninjured. 

At past 7pm, we arrived in Davao City. Bolan and Shing had a flight to catch, while me, Rovi and Kang stayed in the city for the night. As we were about to sleep, I asked Rovi - "Why do you climb mountains?"

She paused for a while and answered me back. "Hiking reminds me of life. There are times you think you are stuck with your troubles, but if you keep on going, little by little, you surpass your problems. Every struggle is not forever, you just have to persevere, soon enough you will reach the summit."

I laid in my bed and thought of my answer to my own question. It's similar to what Rovi told me. Also, through hiking, I'm meeting the most amazing people and together we're establishing life-long bonds. (I miss you my Mt. Apo group.) 

Right now, while writing this, I realized my most important reason for climbing a mountain. Ever since, my life revolves around my family, loved ones and career. Climbing a mountain gives me the space and the much needed break. With the adventure and danger that comes with it, it requires me to focus solely on my needs, without thinking of my responsibilities. Hiking is my me time. It keeps me whole. It keeps me sane. It enriches my soul. 
Into the mountain I go.
Finally, I understood why the mountains are calling and I must go.

Climb Date: November 2-4, 2017
Summit Elevation: 2,954mASL
Difficulty Rating: 7/9
Jump-off Point: Sitio Baruring (Sibulan-Sta. Cruz trail)
Exit Point: same - back trail
Days Required/Hours to Summit: 3 days/13 hours
Features: Farmlands, jungle (mossy forest), boulder face, solfataras, crater lake
Geology: Volcanic flows, pyroclastics, andesitic to dacitic plug
Guide/Contact Person: Engr. Albert Gabriel of www.mtapoadventures.com
Photo Credits: Engr. Albert Gabriel

Comments

Popular Posts