To Hike Is To Heal, Pulag Is The Best Medicine


Mt. Pulag
Kabayan, Benguet


Go up to the mountain, go up to the glen, where silence will touch you, and heartbreak will mend. – Van Morrison
Pulag sunrise.

My year 2018 had an unexpected start. I got my heart broken, for the second time, by the same man. I had to deal with the pain that comes with the loss, so where do I go? To the mountain of course. And it’s not just any mountain, but the highest mountain in Luzon and the third in the whole country, and the most enchanting too with its famed sea of clouds.

It’s the first weekend of the year. The coldest month for a Cordilleran hike. It was early dawn when I joined my hike mates at Victory Baguio. Together, we boarded a jeepney to Bokod, Benguet. There were lots of stops: breakfast, Ambuklao dam, sulfur spring, clinic for our medical certificates, DENR Ranger station. It was all a blur. I was physically there, but my mind, my thoughts, they were nonstop. I had a lot of questions, I felt hurt, I felt betrayed. I was floating. I'm in a haze. Sleep was impossible from the previous nights.

I got a little better when we reached the homestay. Lunch was served. I force-fed myself. Zero appetite. My hike mates started to notice my desolation. They were friendly, I am bursting with emotions. I had to share I was there to mend a broken heart, else, I’ll go crazy with the tormenting thoughts. Then music happened. One of our TrailAd guides started to play the guitar. We sang, it was mostly OPM – EraserHeads, Imago, Itchy Worms. It was nice. You can never go wrong with the magic of music and good company.
Our homestay in Bokod.
Bokod neighborhood.
Cabbage and carot plantations behind me.

After the songs, we walked. The air was cool, the sceneries to die for. I got closer with my hike mates (Alex, Dani, Pee Yee, Carweena) as we shared each other glimpses of our lives.

Dinner was served. Logs were burning in the fireplace. Ed Sheeran’s Perfect kept looping. Then Godfrey briefed us for the hike. And it was light’s off.

Another sleepless night.

12AM. We assembled at Ambangeg Ranger Stn where our two local guides joined us.

1AM. We started hiking. It was cold despite my thermals and four layers. It was dark but our headlights were enough to guide us in our trail. Luckily, the sky was calm and there were stars that night.
Night hiking in the cold.

Silence. We were very silent as we hiked. Yet in that stillness, my thoughts were loud and piercing. A series of endless replays. Wondering what went wrong. A lot of what-ifs.

And then the tears. It was too cold I only shed dry tears. But my nose was very runny. I kept on walking and praying to be okay. That everything would soon be okay.

530AM. Sunrise came at the peak. I sat in front of a shrub of dwarf bamboos as I watched the most magical sunrise. The sun was a mix of red and orange as it rose above the sea of clouds. It was beautiful. It was nature's finest. Truly, Pulag  is the playground of the Gods.
Pulag's sunrise.
Trailad hike buddies.
Pulag femmes!
After some time,  sunrise was over.

Right there and then, I realized how fleeting and beautiful life is. That's why this time, I am choosing myself. I came to the resolution that no matter how hard, I must learn how to accept what is and let go of what was. And that was the start of my healing journey.

In loss, there is no shortcut in overcoming the pain. The only solution is to deal with it and give it time. But trust me, climbing a mountain and knowing your self-worth will propel healing. (Add some gym time too for dopamine and endorphins.)

Right now, I am in a good place in my life. I am at peace. I am grateful.

Indeed, nature is the best medicine.


Climb Date: January 6-7, 2018
Summit Elevation: 2,926mASL
Difficulty Rating: 3/9
Jump-off Point: Ambangeg Ranger Stn, Bokod, Benguet
Exit Point: same (back trail)
Days Required/Hours to Summit: 1-2 day/4 hours
Features: Sea of clouds, grasslands, dwarf bamboo and bonsai forests
Geology: Bokod Fm. (Tuffs, volcanic sandstones, andesitic conglomerate
Guide: Mandatory guide assigned at the registration area
Contact Person: TrailAdventours (Godfrey and Benj)


I was not into vlogging back when I hiked Pulag but was able to produce this from the few footages I shot. Check this out.
 

Comments

Popular Posts